Canada – a country famous for its maple syrup & vast forests – is also among the most preferred overseas study destinations for Indians, and not without reason! Canada frequently features in the top 10 nations when it comes to quality of living. It is also home to some of the top colleges and universities in the world! Canada is also very welcoming and has a multicultural populace that helps Indian students feel more at home.

In addition to this, Canada has also launched the Student Partnership Program (SPP) to make it easier for Indian students to secure study visa.

What is SPP?

Launched in 2009, the SPP was developed by the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) in partnership with the Association of Canadian Community Colleges (ACCC). The objective of this program is to streamline the visa process for aspirants looking to study in specific Canadian institutes. There are 50+ participating universities under SPP and if you choose to study at any one of these institutions, you could apply under SPP and avail quick & easy study visa.

What is Non-SPP?

Colleges & universities participating under the SPP program accept Non-SPP (general) applicants as well. Therefore, if you have chosen a college that participates in the SPP program, you have the choice of applying as a Non-SPP applicant too!

What is the difference between SPP and Non-SPP?

The only main differences are the documents required & the ease of obtaining the visa. Students under the SPP require fewer documents than Non-SPP applicants. Moreover, the process under the SPP is much quicker and also much easier!

Documents required for SPP :

  • Letter of Acceptance from participating colleges under SPP
  • IELTS score sheet with at least an overall band of 6.0 for undergraduate courses and an overall band of 6.5 with no less than 6.0 for postgraduate programs
  • 12th-grade mark sheet with at least above 55% score for undergraduate programs
  • Bachelor’s degree or three to four years of Advance Diploma with a minimum of 50% or above, is required for po stgraduate courses
  • Proof of work experience
  • Proof of payment of Tuition Fee
  • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000 for living expenses
  • Medical test results conducted only by approved panel doctors
  • Applicable Visa fees

Documents required for Non-SPP :

To get into a college or university of one’s choice, Non-SPP applicants will have to submit all of the above documents except for the GIC of $10,000. In place of the GIC, they will have to provide proof of funds to support living expenses. This includes bank savings, investments, education loan, etc. In addition to their work experience letter, they will also have to provide the last 3 month’s play slips.

How do you apply for SPP?

Well, there is no separate application process. If you apply at universities participating under the SPP program and meet certain eligibility criteria, you will be selected for the program. If selected, you will have to undergo a medical test at a Canadian Govt. approved medical center. After this, you will have to purchase a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAD 10,000 towards the first year’s living expenses. If you want to get an SPP visa, it is advised that you apply for admission at least 3 months before the deadline to ensure you have time to get the medical test done, purchase the GIC and take care of any other formalities required.

Related Post