Changes in H1B and F1 Visa you should know about

September 30, 2019
us student visa
Applying for US student visa- Things to Note
August 28, 2014
f1 visa

The F1 visa is the doorway to studying in the USA. It is compulsory if you are considering an American education. The H1B visa, on the other hand, holds the key furthering your career, starting a family and building your life in America. The following article will tell you more about both these visas and also shed light on some of the recent changes that pertain to the H1B & F1 visas.

What is an F1 visa?

It is a nonimmigrant visa for students wishing to pursue an education in the USA. It is mandatory to file for an F1 visa application if you want to enter the US to do a course, attend college, enroll into a conservatory, take up a language training program, etc. It is valid as long as the visa holder is pursuing a valid course in the US.

How to get an F1 visa?

The process to get an F1 visa is relatively simple. However, it is a lengthy process and it is known to take a lot of time. Therefore, if you are planning to apply for this visa, you need to apply in advance to ensure the application process does not hinder the rest of your plans. After securing admission, your university will provide you an ‘I-20’ form. You need to fill and submit this form in order to schedule your interview appointment with your local US embassy. Based on your interview and all your documents & financial details, you will be granted an F1 visa and officially become an international student!

What is an H1-B visa?

It is a nonimmigrant, temporary US visa issued to individuals employed in a position that requires specialized skills set or expertize. The H1-B visa is valid for up to 3 years and can be extended for an additional 3 years only once.
How to get an H1-B visa?

Every fiscal year, only a maximum of 65,000 regular H1B are issued. Due to this limited number of visas, applications have to be submitted in a specific time frame. For applications in October 2020, applications have to be submitted on 1st April, 2019. Also, your application must be sponsored by a valid company and you should have an offer for work or internship before submitting the application.

Changes in H1-B & F1 visas:

Let’s begin with changes in the F1 visa. Until last year, a student visa allowed you to stay back in the US indefinitely as long as you maintained your status as a student. However, a notice was published in October of 2018 stating that this indefinite time frame would be replace by a fixed maximum number of years after completion of the course (with the option to extend after this maximum term is over).

Coming to the changes in the H1-B visa, USCIS has announced that it will reverse the order by which it selects petitions under cap and the advanced degree exemption. This move will estimated to increase the number of beneficiaries selected under H1-B by up to 16%. Moreover, those seeking to file H-1B cap-subject petitions will not have to first electronically register with USCIS. This ensures that employers will no longer have to submit their H-1B petitions and supporting documentation before the cap selection process. This shift to electronic registration is expected to lower the cost of application and create a more effective process!

We hope this has been more helpful, for more information, feel free to get in touch with one of our finance executives. Good luck and all the best with your studies!

Enquire Now