Engineering Colleges in India
Top Engineering Colleges In India
October 22, 2020
us student visa
Applying for US student visa- Things you should know
August 28, 2014
US visa

Most students who plan to pursue their further studies abroad choose to go to the United States. This is because the US is considered to be one of the best study destinations around the world. With reputed educational institutions that offer courses in various fields, students are open to multiple choices.

But before you start applying to various universities, you should also be aware of how to get a US student visa. Here’s what you should know:

Types of student visas
F1 visa

The F-1 visa is the most common type of visas for students. This visa is for those students who plan on going to the US to pursue their academic courses or an English Language course. The academic course that you have chosen should get done by the date that is mentioned on your Form I-20. If it does not end within the mentioned tenure, you would have to speak with your international advisor who will help you in getting an extension.

If you have an F-1 visa, you are not permitted to find a job while studying, but you can work part-time if you find on-campus employment. Your working hours would be limited to 20 hours per week. Once you complete your academic course, you also have the option to work on OPT (Optional practical training) for 1 full year.  However, it is best to check this with your international advisor since working without proper authorization would put your visa at risk of being revoked. Those who are dependents of the F-1 visa holders (Spouse and unmarried children below the age of 21) have to apply for F-2 visas.

M1 visa

Not all students prefer going for the usual academic courses. Some choose to pursue non-academic courses and vocational courses. Such students are supposed to apply for an M-1 visa. Students who have an M-1 visa are not permitted to work in the United States during their stay.

In order to get an M-1 visa, you need to pursue a full course of study at a college with 12 semester or quarter hours. The biggest difference between an F-1 visa holder and an M-1 visa holder is that M-1 visa holders are not permitted to overstay their visit. Dependents of the F-1 visas (Spouse and unmarried children below the age of 21) have to apply for M-2 visas.

J1 visa

The United States Government organizes numerous student-exchange programs, which are often sponsored by an educational university or any non-profit organization accredited by the US State Department’s Exchange Visitor Program.

Those interested in these programs have to apply for J-1 visas. These visas are for students who are looking to pursue practical training which is not available in their home country. The training that they seek should be directly related to their academic course. The working rules for J-1 visa holders are pretty much the same as those of the F-1 visa holders once they are given permits by their exchange visitor program sponsor. Dependents of the J-1 visa holders (Spouse and unmarried children below the age of 21) have to apply for J-2 visas.

When applying for a US student visa, keep the following requirements in mind:

• Strong ties to your home country.
• Proof of admission.
• Proof of funds
• Academic documents (Marksheets, English Language Proficiency certificates).
• Bank statements (Original & photocopies).

Now that you have learnt about the different types of US student visas, you are most likely thinking about the finances for your academic ventures. With Avanse, you can get an student loan that would take care of all your academic expenses. Do contact us and we will see to it that you get the assistance you need.

We hope that you find this article useful, all the best!

Enquire Now